The experience when arriving…
The journey from Malaysia takes about 12 hours of flight to Zurich. When the year that I just decided to come to Switzerland in 2017, I had no idea how to pack my luggage and could not prepare my daily product. I panicked and I wondered how can I find tips to get ready to the place that I am going to stay for 2 years. Finally I found Travel magazines, which help a little… why a little? As these magazines are for travellers not that suitable for long term students. However, it helps! I took my first flight with Thai Airway but I would recommend Singapore Airlines which gives a better option in seats and food. When I arrived in Zurich, I was picked up by the school so I do not need to worry about transportation.
Transportation to Lucerne
It is very convenient to take transportation in Switzerland. There are certain ways to get to Switzerland. I used this as an example as I was studying in Lucerne.
- Train: 1 hour 20 mins – CHF 15 per journey
Uber: 1 hour – CHF 141.51 per car
For the Uber, I would recommend when you come in a group of 3 or the train is definitely the best in Switzerland. When Malaysian arrive, it is usually in Terminal 2 and you can cross the road to Terminal 1. SBB station is located next to the escalator and you could also post your luggage to the destination but it takes about 2 days to arrive. The train to Lucerne is usually at platform 3 but the schedule might change so it is better to check.
There are a few of convenient stores in Switzerland such as Coop, Migros, Kiosk, Aldi, etc. I would recommend Coop as their products are better quality and you are considering of cheaper price, then Aldi will be much suitable however there are lesser stores around. These stores are open from:
- Monday: 9.30 a.m. – 6.30 p.m.
- Tuesday: 9.30 a.m. – 6.30 p.m.
- Wednesday: 9.30 a.m. – 6.30 p.m.
- Thursday: 9.30 a.m. – 9.30 p.m.
- Friday: 9.30 a.m. – 9.30 p.m.
- Saturday: 9.30 a.m. – 4.30 p.m.
- Sunday: Closed (except restaurants)
This timetable is for shops in usual boutique, as for the train station, they are open till 10.30 p.m. usually.
Reminder for long stay
- Half-price card in SBB
- After 7 card in SBB (Optional, I choose not to buy as it cost much as well)
- Super saver (You must get this online/SBB apps)
- Prepaid card (Lycamobile is cheaper but Sunrise has better quality)
- Remember to bring winter and summer clothes as the temperature can be quite hot or cold.
- Comfortable shoes
- Sunglasses (strong UV ray)
Enjoy the beautiful view in Switzerland is the joy of living here and studying here is a great opportunity for future career. Especially for the hospitality and culinary students. I hope all the students best of luck and for the new comers a warm welcome.